11/26/13

pups

I've been working at a doggy daycare for about four months. it's hard work. it's easy to get overwhelmed--there is so much to do, all the time. there are so many dogs and sometimes they are all being bad at once. the pay isn't great yet. it's hard on my body--I'm standing and walking and stooping for hours, and I sometimes have problems with my feet and hips.

but when I feel myself starting to be overly negative, I remind myself that not everyone gets to hang out with puppies all day. I don't have to deal with the general public (of humans, at least). I get to spend time with all these dogs and really get to know them. it's easy to forget that the dogs have actual owners--you spend hours with the same dogs every day and you get attached to them and they get attached to you. I go into work each day excited to see who I'll be spending the day with and hoping for certain dogs.
I've also realized that there is so much about this dog world that I don't know. I've been loving figuring it all out and I literally learn something new every day.

I remember when I first got the call for the interview, the interviewer asked me why I love dogs. I realized the other day that after working here for four months, my answer still hasn't changed: I love dogs because they are always excited to see you. no matter what. it doesn't matter if I've never met the dog before, or if I just went to the bathroom for a few minutes and came back. they are always happy that you're around.

here are some photos of my dog buddies.

----------------------------------------------------------

Stetson, the Basenji. he is very stoic and "emotionless", like most Basenjis. he will only lay down and curl up with older female dogs. it's really sweet.


Bear, the blind black lab. he is very sweet too, and I think he is up for adoption!


Bear cracks me up because unlike the other blind dogs I've met, who rely on their sense of smell to get around and generally walk carefully, Bear relies on his hearing and doesn't seem to care too much about what is or isn't in front of him. he just walks and if he bangs into something, he just changes direction and hopes for the best.



Milo the doodle, pre-haircut!


Tyson the Yorkie. I am totally in love with this dog. he is the sweetest thing. 




Tanner the Cocker Spaniel. he's a chill, lovable dude. his favorite pastime is napping.


Bailey was very uncomfortable with the camera. he's a strange guy!


Stella paws.


I adore Stella. she is super fun to play fetch with!


Stella often falls asleep standing up. I had never met a Vizsla before working here, and I really like them! they are all just a little bit odd. I'd love to have one someday.


Stetson's curly tail.


Mac is our receptionist's dog. he is a big goofy sweetheart.


Una is the cutest and best Rottweiler! she is a favorite at the daycare. I had a dream recently that I adopted her and I was pretty sad that it wasn't true when I woke up.



I couldn't get a photo of Bailey the Mastiff's face because he just wanted to sit on my feet. 


Ali, who is by far the best behaved Boxer! he's awesome.


forever changing these slobbery water buckets!



Amarok is an Anatolian Shepard mix. he is huge, easily over a hundred pounds, and very nice!


Sebastian is a pit bull/lab mix. he has some of the softest fur I've ever seen!


I love Yoder's face on the right!


No comments:

Post a Comment